Monday 25 November 2013

Eating Out High Carb Vegan

Eating out may seem a bit of a challenge for a high carb, low fat vegan but I will share some tips that will help to make it an easy enjoyable experience. 

First of all I order a large jug of water but without ice so I can keep hydrated throughout the meal, the warmer temperature makes it easier to drink. I tend to drink about 3 glasses prior eating. 

If I fancy pizza: 
I find a pizza on the menu that lists some tasty veggies eg rocket, olives, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn etc. (Sometimes there is a vegetarian pizza option). Then when I order I just ask to replace the cheese with something else or something extra. They usually accept and will do just that. If there is a gluten free pizza base available I will order that as it tends to digest better. 

If I fancy pasta:
I ask for gluten free, usually they have rice or corn pasta. (Sometimes you have to phone up when booking to ask them to provide it or just bring it aha) I tend to avoid wheat pasta because of the gluten. To go with that I would ask for a tomato and vegetable sauce with no oil. I say no oil (100% fat) because I find it slows digestion, sludges up my blood and makes me feel less energetic. 

With the main meal or as a starter I like to order a large side salad without dressing (clearly specify this) as sometimes they add it as standard. I like to finish the whole jug of water as cooked foods are very dehydrating. 

If I fancy dessert:
I tend not to go for the fresh fruit at this stage because fruit digests faster than cooked so the fruit will literally run into the cooked causing a traffic jam allowing the fruit to putrefy and cause gas and bloating. However, I have found that fruit sorbet is fine, try it out and see how you feel. I like to have any sorbet flavour e.g. raspberry, pear, lemon. 

So the main points are to drink plenty of water, about a litre during the meal. Make it clear exactly what you want, making sure no oil is added (even olive oil). If you're not sure exactly what the ingredients are then don't be afraid to ask. Remember you're their customer and they want you to be satisfied. 

Happy dining :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

...